19 QUESTIONS TO HELP YOU DETERMINE THE TOTAL COST OF OWNING AND USING YOUR AUDIO-VISUAL EQUIPMENT
August 27 2021
Money is always factored into the choices of technology products to acquire and deploy in boardrooms and classrooms. After all, there are budgets to consider and respect. There are people (buyers) responsible for finding the right deal. For them, the purchase price is often a useful point of comparison between products.
But once the initial purchase is made, other costs can continue to add up significantly. From installation to maintenance through training. And while some are predictable, others can catch you off guard. Before you buy, it's helpful to determine what your total cost of equipment ownership and use (TCO) will actually be.
Over the years, I have spoken to many customers about the factors they take into account in determining the total cost of their equipment. If you are choosing a technology for your rooms, here are a few questions (some obvious and some not) to make sure you make an informed choice.
- How much will each product cost?
- Is there a volume purchase price?
- Are there other discounts?
- What will be the cost of installing each piece of equipment?
- How long does the installation take?
- How long will your rooms be out of use?
Configuration and deployment
- Are specialized skills required to operate the product?
- Can your IT team be trained to deploy the equipment?
Maintenance and troubleshooting
- Can the systems be managed and updated remotely?
- Are there remote accesses to facilitate product management?
- What happens when classrooms are reconfigured?
- What type of warranty is included?
- What if the equipment breaks down and needs to be repaired?
- Is user training necessary?
- Are training materials or services included?
- Is system manager training required?
- What is the cost of systems that are not in use?
Good luck on your shopping
Determining the total cost of owning and using technological equipment is not without its challenges. But if you don't ask a full set of questions before you buy, it's almost impossible to know the real cost for. We hope these questions can help you make informed purchasing decisions.
Vice-President, Business Development at Melting IceCube Consultants